[Web4lib] Measuring RSS activity in Apache log files

Ken Varnum Ken.Varnum at tufts.edu
Wed Nov 1 11:57:29 EST 2006

Along these lines, some aggregators include the number of subscribers
they are aggregating in their HTTP request (in the user-agent line).
For example (taken from the Browser report of a recent Analog report):

Bloglines/3.1 (http://www.bloglines.com; 19 subscribers)
NewsGatorOnline/2.0 (http://www.newsgator.com; 7 subscribers)
NewsGatorOnline/2.0 (http://www.newsgator.com; 2 subscribers)
AttensaOnline/1.0 (http://www.attensa.com; 1 subscribers)
Feedshow/1.0 (http://www.feedshow.com; 1 subscriber)

As the number of aggregator subscriber changes, this information
changes -- so I can see that Bloglines/3.1 had 15 subscribers, then
16, then 17...

Ken

Ken Varnum
  RSS4Lib weblog:  Innovative ways libraries use RSS
  http://www.rss4lib.com/