[Web4lib] More music questions

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Wed Nov 1 09:24:32 EST 2006

Win,Lin, or Mac.

I haven't used any of these but they look like good candidates.

Last update looks like 06/2004 but it looks pretty full featured
http://www.zope.org/Members/gittew/MyMediaManager
See the descriptive article on MyMediaManager
http://www.zopemag.com/Issue004/Section_Articles/article_MyMediaManager.html
Looks like they are having a problem with their own WEB site right now though:
"You have contacted www.mmmanager.org. Due to technical problems with the
internet connection the service is currently down.  We expect to be back
online very shortly."
Looks like security/access would be per the built in Zope security.

There is also Plone4Artists Site product, see:
http://www.plone4artists.org/products
At that site is also, Plone4ArtistsPortfolio providing posdcasting, RSS feeds
and drag-ndrop addition of content and page layout.  They suggets P4AP for
Artists and bands to create a portfolio of themselves but as with any
solution I take their descriptions and then say "how else can I use this?".
Currently only the site, calendar, and audio products have been released and
as Alpha, the others are in experimental state but work is current with
updates on the site as recent as 10/22/06.

You may want to look at other available products for Zope and Plone at
http://www.zope.org/
and
http://www.plone.org

Thomas

On Tuesday 31 October 2006 19:09, John Creech wrote:
> Hi.  I got a number of good ideas from the recent "Where to invest in
> music collection" thread but am wondering if anyone could could speak to
> some technical questions and processes.
>
> On the top floor of our library we have a music collection that consists
> of ref materials, sheet music, LPs and CDs, mostly.  We have capital money
> for physical remodeling as well as money for hardware and server-based
> software apps to offer digital music to our patrons.  We are basically
> aware of the status of online subscription services but some on my campus
> are expressing a keen urge for us to store and serve audio files.
>
> I and my staff of 3 manage all of our servers, desktops, and apps here in
> the building.  My colleagues have asked me to explore hardware/software
> solutions for offering online digital audio class reserves.  Whatever
> solution we ever went with would likely be unix/linux or Mac Servers -
> otherwise they'd have to reside in the campus computing DMZ.
>
>  Would anyone be willing to share any info on how they've proceeded, what
> worked and what didn't, listservs to read, reviews, whatever?  Open source
> solutions are always welcome.  We have to do a major remodel of our comm
> room in the building before we proceed with any implementation so we're
> probably six to twelve months out.
>
> Thanks very much for any suggestions.
>
> John Creech, Systems Librarian
> Brooks Library, Central Washington University
> 400 E. University Way | Ellensburg, WA 98926
> office - 509.963.1081

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett		Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant III			P O Box 32026
University Library				Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

An important measure of effort in coding is the frequency with which you write
something that doesn't actually match your mental representation of the
problem, and have to backtrack on realizing that what you just typed won't
actually tell the language to do what you're thinking. -Eric Raymond

Library Systems Help Desk: http://linux.library.appstate.edu/help