[Web4lib] Could library automation systems track evacuees?

Thomas Edelblute TEdelblute at anaheim.net
Tue May 30 19:43:04 EDT 2006

I have been watching this discussion with some interest.  Here in the
City of Anaheim, the Department of Community Services is responsible for
care and shelter in any emergency where evacuation is required.  Since
the Library Division is part of that department, we have participated in
two drills, and a real evacuation due to fire over the past year.

The drill we had last month was our first drill following Red Cross
shelter training.  Community Services set up a shelter in a gymnasium
and practiced receiving evacuees using the Red Cross registration forms.
The Emergency Operations Center (EOC) set up a web based form that the
information could be transferred to.  My first job was to connect the
laptop to the EOC using the Verizon EVDO cellular air-card.  But once
connected, I left to go to the Department Operations Center for Care and
Shelter, and nobody entered any information into the computer.

While we might be better prepared than some, we still have some things
to work out.  And in the event of a real emergency, I am one of the
names that can be called on as Technical Communications Operator (the
guy they expect to make all the technology work).

But there is no talk of using barcodes or RFID here.  The idea is to set
up a temporary shelter for them to spend the night (if necessary) then
get them out to family, friends or hotels as quickly as possible.  None
of our shelters are indented for long term care, per the advice we
received from the Red Cross.

Should a circulation system track evacuees?  No, we are not in the
business of long term care, so tracking is not necessary.  Should we use
web based communication to let family members know that people are safe?
Yes.

Thomas Edelblute
Anaheim Public Library