[Web4lib] Library Systems Question from San Diego State

Andrew Darby adarby at ithaca.edu
Thu May 25 17:06:41 EDT 2006

I'm in the final stages of developing such a thing using PHP/MySQL here,
the working demo is at:

http://www.ithacalibrary.com/scholars/index.php

I was actually planning to release the code as open source later this
summer, once I figure out how to de-individualize it and make the
installers (I'm saving up questions for OSS4LIB . . .).

We haven't launched yet (thus there are only a few test records in
place), but the idea is that people will authenticate through LDAP and
either:

a) enter their own works
b) log in and let a student do the dirty work for them
c) staff member logs in as "superuser" and enters work for people in
their department

The LDAP authentication pre-populates the faculty/staff member's
department/personal info, and each time the user reenters the admin view
this info is updated.

For certain item types (book, movie), upon submission an email is sent
to the subject librarian so they can add an ISBN to the record so we can
link back to the catalog record.  (This might be more of a burden at a
larger institution.)  Otherwise, we don't want to be involved in the
process--we'll see how this pans out.

All item types can have an image attached by the user (at the request of
an art faculty user testing subject, who thought that artworks, in
particular, made no sense without some sort of attached image).

As for your questions:

1.  Me.  With some help with the LDAP portion from Campus IT
2.  We'll maintain the technology
3.  The implementation details remain to be seen.  Our library director
has met with the deans, we've done user testing with a smattering of
representative faculty, and everyone seems keen.  The key faculty
concern was who does the data entry--preferably, someone else.

I could give you more specific details if you like.  Not sure if this
would be scalable for a larger institution--we're a smallish liberal
arts college.

Andrew Darby
Web Services Librarian
Ithaca College Library