[Web4lib] Reminder: CfP, Special Issue on Digital Libraries and eScience, IJDL

Traugott Koch t.koch at ukoln.ac.uk
Thu May 11 12:38:20 EDT 2006

***Call for Papers: Special Issue on Digital Libraries and eScience***
               International Journal on Digital Libraries

                http://www.dlese.org/IJDL_eScience/

IMPORTANT DATES

                *Submissions are due: June 1, 2006*

Acceptance notifications: Sep 1, 2006
Anticipated publication of the special issue: Early 2007

TOPIC OF THE SPECIAL ISSUE
There are an increasing number of initiatives in several countries
targeted at supporting research into new forms of computational
infrastructure intended to transform the conduct of scientific research
in areas such as chemistry, atmospheric science, and earth science.
These initiatives, which go under a variety of names including eScience,
eResearch, and cyberinfrastructure, are a response to the changing
nature of scientific research, particularly in the natural and physical
sciences, which is increasingly dependent upon large data sets and
high-end analysis and visualization tools. eScience approaches and
techniques are also beginning to appear in other disciplines such as the
humanities and social sciences. Research issues being addressed in these
initiatives include information retrieval, information modeling,
ontologies, systems interoperability, and policy issues associated with
providing transparent access to complex data sets. As such, these
initiatives are concerned with many of the same research issues that the
international digital library community has been grappling with for the
past decade. The purpose of this special issue is to critically examine
the role that digital libraries can and should play in this emerging
eScience computational infrastructure. Bringing the digital library and
the emerging scientific infrastructure worlds together can lay the
foundation for providing truly integrated support for the entire process
of science, from formulation of research questions to the publication of
the outcomes.

Papers are invited on the technical, social, and policy dimensions of
eScience and digital libraries.
Topics to be considered include, but are not limited to:

-- The design, use, and evaluation of innovative digital library
technologies in eScience
-- Critical examinations of eScience practices using these technologies
-- How eScience and digital libraries are transforming education
-- Critical examination of the role of policies and scientific cultures
on data sharing, open access, and differences across scientific disciplines
-- Interdisciplinary aspects; international cooperation
-- Metadata and information modeling for eScience
-- Knowledge organization systems and subject access for eScience; e.g.,
thesauri, ontologies, and other terminologies
-- Semantic interoperability, data integration
-- Indexing, retrieval and discovery of data and related science and
education materials
-- Automatic data analysis techniques and data mining across a
collection of resources
-- Intersection of scientific workflows with metadata generation and
other digital library information management issues
-- Encoding systems and mark-up languages for integrating scientific
data and other intellectual products
-- Persistent identifiers, citation and linking between data,
publications, and other science and education products
-- Data storage management
-- Digital curation, provenance, repository and preservation issues
associated with eScience
-- User needs and user interfaces for creating, managing, customizing,
annotating and collaborating

SPECIAL ISSUE EDITORS
Tamara Sumner (sumner at colorado.edu) - University of Colorado at Boulder
Traugott Koch (t.koch at ukoln.ac.uk) - UKOLN, University of Bath
Michael Wright (mwright at ucar.edu) - University Corporation for
Atmospheric Research

SUBMISSIONS
Due to the emerging nature of this field, we welcome a broad variety of
lengths and publication types.  All submissions need to relate to the
field of eScience, however. Please contact one of the editors for
feedback and guidance.  Manuscripts must be written in English and
should include a cover page with title, name and address (including
email address) of author(s), an abstract, and a list of keywords.
Authors are encouraged to follow the formatting instructions at:
http://cimic.rutgers.edu/~ijdl/submission_index.htm

**Papers must be submitted via the web site:**
   http://www.softconf.com/start/IJDL_escience

ABOUT the International Journal on Digital Libraries
The International Journal on Digital Libraries, published by Springer,
is a quarterly journal aimed at advancing the theory and practice of
acquisition, definition, organization, management, and dissemination of
digital information via global networking. It emphasizes issues in
digital information production, management, and use; high-speed networks
and connectivity; interoperability and seamless integration of
information, people, profiles, tasks, and needs; security and privacy of
individuals and business transactions; and effective business processes.