[Web4lib] managing files...

Jonathan Gorman jtgorman at uiuc.edu
Wed May 10 17:44:56 EDT 2006

On Wed, 10 May 2006, Leslie Johnston wrote:

> Following on Jonathan's post, I should say that Subversion has the rollback
> and versioning capability that cvs has.  It also broadcasts email message
> when changes have been committed to files, so you can see who has made a
> change, and what the change was.

Yup, svn and cvs have a lot of the basic functionality, which isn't
surprising since svn evolved out of cvs.  There's some more differences,
but overall svn is probably your best bet.  I've found svn a bit more
difficult to configure for access to repositories via authenticated
users over a network, but I haven't actually tried very hard.  And that
isn't probably going to be a problem in this case.  I'm not entirely
enamored with the differences in "tagging", but I'm used to cvs so that
might be why.  I do like being able to treat directories (folders) as
versioned in svn, which cvs didn't support.  That does make it easier to
add or remove a directory.

I forgot to mention that an excellent source on either cvs or svn are the
redbean books.

http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

Jon Gorman