[Web4lib] managing files...

Mark Gilman mgilman at dallaslibrary.org
Wed May 10 17:05:11 EDT 2006

Hi,

I maintain several different websites of varying size and complexity.  In
the case of the largest one, with thousands of pages and files, I do not
have FTP access and must rely on an intermediary.  I tend to work fast,
squeezing web development in amongst many other duties, and I am forever
being mildly upbraided about setting image paths to the wrong folder,
sending copies of image files that are already on the server and that sort
of thing.  I have
Frontpage and various free code editors, but not, say, Dreamweaver.  Lately,
I've imported the entire site onto my local drive, so that I'm working on a
clone, but I still worry about getting out of synch with what's online, and
it's a bit of a pain to keep saving the source from the server to the local
verisimilitude of the site.

Anyone know of a better solution that doesn't rely upon FTP access?  The
most annoying situations are when I do something like alter an image and
forget to tell the intermediaries that, although it has the same name, it is
a new image and does need to overwrite the existing one.  None of this is
rocket science if one is only doing a couple changes at a time, but there
are days when I'm making dozens of changes.  I guess what I hope to find is
some kind of tool that does a better job of highlighting dependencies
between files, generating a change log or something along that line.  Were I
more disciplined I could probably figure out how to do this better with the
tools in hand.

Regards,
Mark