[Web4lib] Libraries that support user tagging in OPAC?

Mike McDermott mmcderm2 at bowdoin.edu
Fri Mar 10 09:41:33 EST 2006

Wouldn't the 'tagging' be an internal function of the catalog,
similar to subjects headings except that users could add their
own at will?  In that case, changing the URL wouldn't break tags
any more than it would break every other outside URL that links
directly to items in the catalog (i.e., a link to a particular
subject search or OCLC number).  It seems like a well thought out
implementation of tagging would have some standard way to do
these searches:
http://mylib.myschool.edu/search/tag?tag=springbreak
so that only the hostname would change.

Just spouting off the top of my head for the sake of discussion
though... I'm interested to see what others think.

Mike

Mike McDermott                     mmcderm2 at bowdoin.edu
Bowdoin College Library
3000 College Station               phone: (207) 725-3856
Brunswick, Maine 04011-8421        fax:(207) 725-3083