[Web4lib] new job description - public geek

Phil Shapiro pshapiro at his.com
Fri Jun 16 07:38:25 EDT 2006

hi web4lib community -

   at the public library where i work i asked my supervisor if i could change my
job title to "public geek."  she's a geek herself and laughed approvingly at the
suggestion.

    she then explained that it's a bit involved changing a job title when you
work for a city government, but she said it would be fine if i described myself
to the public (and co-workers) as the "public geek."

    i was hired with a different job title, but my responsibilities truly are
those of a public geek. and so i say...

     i hold these geeks to be self-evident, that all geeks are created equal and
that they are endowed by their creator with certain kinds of skills, and that
they pursue curiosity in countless ways in order to better serve the public.

     and for the support of this declaration, with a firm reliance on the
protection of our USB Flash drives, we mutually pledge to each other our lives,
our fortunes and our sacred honor.

       phil shapiro, public geek
       takoma park maryland library

       (washington dc metropolitan area)