[Web4lib] blue sky thinking

Keith D. Engwall kengwall at catawba.edu
Tue Jul 25 17:49:20 EDT 2006

Aside from having a good firewall to sit behind, what is the biggest reason against doing this in-house?

We just put together an Ubuntu linux server for about $600 with 1 GB of RAM and 400 GB of storage space.

Ubuntu Dapper Drake Server with LAMP took an afternoon to install.  Not *quite* out of the box solution, but pretty darn close.  The configuration was pretty minimal, and I just copied the web site over and it just worked.

We just had to get a DNS set up for that box (two actually, one for the public, and one for a development version of the web page), and holes poked in the firewall for HTTP and SSH, and we went live with it inside of a week or two.

Now, we have our own environment in which to gradually expand our capabilities.  I don't know how to do all the things we want to do, but gradually, I find something that's interesting, ask questions, read about it, and then if it doesn't seem too hard to take on, I try it out.  We don't have to ask permission to try anything new; we just do all our playing in our development virtual host, and then when it is ready to go live, we copy it over into production.

I wouldn't call this a turnkey solution, but the configuration was a lot less than what I was expecting, and the support out there (and in here) is abundant.

It just seems to me that we're finally at a point where this technology is affordable, the tools are (relatively) easy to use, and the support is readily available.

Keith

Keith Engwall
Head of Library Systems and Technology
Catawba College Library