[Web4lib] Re: Website maintainence in small and mid-sized libraries

Ron Gillies rgillies at lloydminster.lib.sk.ca
Fri Jul 21 14:44:00 EDT 2006

Peters, Christopher  wrote:

>I have a question that I'm passing along from a library trustee.
>They're wondering how other small to mid-sized library systems handle
>the problem of maintaining a web presence when there is so little spare
>time and so little staff expertise.  The system in question has an
>annual budget of $420,000 and eight FTE's.  Can folks out there in a
>similar situation tell me:

Our library has 11.5 FTE and a budget of about $550,000 (US)

Yes, we do it inhouse see www.lloydminster.info

>2.	How many hours per week does your staff, or your contractor,
>spend on the website?

Currently about 2 hours per week, initial setup was about 30-40 hours

>3.	What web authoring tools do you use?

We are using open source software (the Joomla content management
software, GIMP for image manipulation)

>4.	Have any libraries in this size range investigated or
>implemented a Content Management System?

As noted above we are using Joomla (www.joomla.org) quite happily for this.

Hope this is of help

Ron Gillies
Lloydminster Public Library