[Web4lib] Hardware / software to control playback using dictation controls?

Bob Rasmussen ras at anzio.com
Fri Jul 7 01:24:50 EDT 2006

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, Richard Wiggins wrote:

> For a historic project I'm involved in we are interviewing a number of
> people.  We shoot them using a camcorder, then dub to DVD.  We're having
> transcripts of each interview typed.  The typists are used to using a
> dictation recorder with foot pedal controls to speed up, slow down, pause
> etc.
>
> Does anyone know of a device and software that would allow us to connect the
> controls to a computer (presumably via USB) and control a media player?
> This would allow us to let them view and listen to the DVD, improving
> understanding of the words, and control speed as if listening to a dictation
> tape.

Take a look at this device:
   http://www.xkeys.com/xkeys/xkfoot.php
(I'd go with the USB version.)

This is a three-switch foot pedal. You can program each switch to generate
any key code (or sequence, I think) you need. This is done with a driver
that you install onto a PC. Once programmed, the device can be plugged in
to any PC, without a driver, and it acts as an additional keyboard.

I experimented with one of these for a laptop-based sheet music display. I
set up keys to "turn the pages". I didn't fiddle with it long enough to
get proficient at playing piano and switching pages with my left foot.

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras at anzio.com
 company e-mail: rsi at anzio.com
            fax: (US) 503-624-0760
            web: http://www.anzio.com