[Web4lib] Which Linux Distribution for a Library Web Server?

Ross Singer ross.singer at library.gatech.edu
Thu Jul 6 08:59:21 EDT 2006

Keith,

I migrated from Debian to Ubuntu for these issues (timeliness of
'modern' packages).

If you're comfortable with the 'Debian way', you might want to take a
poke at Ubuntu 6.06 -- there are debs for PHP5/MySQL 5, Perl, YAZ and
Net::Z3950 shouldn't be much of a problem.

Fedora is also popular and will probably yield similar results, but
the 'Redhat way' is somewhat different than Debian, so it all comes
down to comfort.

Given the amount of community support surrounding those two
distributions, I don't see much reason to use anything else.

-Ross.