[Web4lib] Which Linux Distribution for a Library Web Server?

Keith D. Engwall kengwall at catawba.edu
Thu Jul 6 08:17:11 EDT 2006

Dear folks,

I have built a linux web server for our library web site, and am contemplating which distribution to use.

Our library web site (http://libweb.catawba.edu) uses PHP and MySQL primarily, but there is at least one application that currently uses Perl, YAZ, and Net::Z3950.

Currently, I'm having a go at Debian sarge.  While it has been mostly successful, I've noticed that there is no deb for MySQL 5 and I've had some trouble installing the ZOOM Perl module, so I'm wondering if I'm barking up the wrong tree, distribution-wise.

While I've got plenty of experience with standard web design, I've only scratched the surface when it comes to newer web-based applications, so I want to try to go with a distribution that others have used successfully.

Any thoughts, opinions, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith
Keith Engwall
Head of Library Systems and Technology