[Web4lib] Using a blog for staff communication in a continuity of operations situation

Barbara Smith BSmith at IMLS.GOV
Wed Jul 5 12:18:42 EDT 2006

Do you know of any place that uses a blog as a way to communicate with
staff in a COOP situation?  Or do you have thoughts about the usefulness
of one in an emergency situation?

In developing disaster scenarios, one we imagine is this:  Due to heavy
flooding (or demonstrations or some other catastrophe in DC), staff
cannot get to the building. Furthermore, the building has lost power,
which takes out servers and Internet access.  But we planned in advance
to use a free blog site on the Internet to keep staff up to date on
what's happening. Key designated staff are authorized to post
information. Because it is an Internet blog site (not in-house server
blog), if staff can get to the Internet, they can get to the site. Of
course, we need to be sure they have the information that the blog
exists, what it would be used for, where it is, etc.

Is this realistic? What suggestions do you have?  Do you have other
plans in place that might be of use to us?

Thanks in advance, Barbara

Barbara G. Smith, E-Projects Officer
Institute of Museum & Library Services | 1800 M Street NW, 9th Floor,
Washington DC 20036
v: 202/653-4688 | f: 202/653-4625 | e-mail: bsmith at imls.gov
<mailto:bsmith at imls.gov>