[Web4lib] Any libraries using Drupal as their website CMS?

Michael Samuelson mlsamuel at isl.state.id.us
Mon Jan 30 17:56:07 EST 2006

The Idaho State Library is in the planning and early implementation
phase of a service which will host Idaho public library web sites using
Drupal.

As the technical lead in this, I've only grown more impressed with
Drupal as the project has progressed.  It thinks like I do - a good
thing in a piece of software.  And after much consideration over the
last few months, I've determined it will meet all our needs.  The
database design and the taxonomy system are factored at a level of
abstraction that's very liberating to comprehend, given that I'm
interested in developing a module or two down the road.  And because
we're aiming to support small to medium sized libraries, the roles
system will be more than adequate for our implementation.

This project is a fairly quick and dirty undertaking on our part, but so
many of our small and rural libraries need to catch up with the web, and
no amount of evangelism, we've found, is going to get a 5-10 staff
library online with current content - let alone an accessible, XHTML
compliant site.

There's the analogy of teaching a person to fish vs. giving them a fish,
and as a state library we're always cognizant of this.  With our Drupal
project, though, we're pleased to find a Gordian solution: give them a
fishing pole.

Michael Samuelson
Web Developer, Idaho State Library
(208) 334-2150 ext.248