[Web4lib] Forwarding Chat / IM alerts to a beeper / phone

Sara Amato samato at bowdoin.edu
Tue Jan 17 17:24:34 EST 2006

Do any of you know of a way to forward IM (or other chat service)
requests to a phone or beeper?  The issue for us is that we are starting
to offer IM/chat reference service, and have a reference librarian who
works in a lab and is often away from her desk.  She wonders if there is
some way that she could be alerted when a chat request comes in.   We
did find the AOL IM forwarding service, but that is only to a cell
phone, which unfortunately don't work very well in our basement brick
lab space.     Any ideas much appreciated!