[Web4lib] PDF/A, PDF for Long-term Preservation

courtois at ksu.edu courtois at ksu.edu
Wed Jan 11 10:42:45 EST 2006

As I understand it, PDF/A isn't so much a new format as it is a set of
guidelines for better preserving PDF documents over time.  Much of
PDF/A addresses content issues, such as

- no audio or video content
- no javascript or file launches
- embed all fonts

It seems you can't really convert PDF files to PDF/A, but rather need to
create a document according to PDF/A guidelines.

I found this document from National Digital Information Infrastructure
and Preservation Program to be helpful in understanding PDF/A:

http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/formats/fdd/fdd000125.shtml

Marty

Martin Courtois
Information Technology Assistance Center
509 Hale Library
Kansas State University
Manhattan KS 66502
Phone: 785 532-4428