[Web4lib] Webmail and the ocean of spam

Stacy Pober stacy.pober at manhattan.edu
Wed Feb 15 19:27:17 EST 2006

I am drowning in spam.  Partly this is because my email address is on most of
our library's webpages.  While I can change this, it's in the "closing
the barn door after the horses got out" category.  I'm sure my work address is
on just about every spammer's list that exists.

The filtering on our webmail does not work well.  Addresses that are
specifically blacklisted or filtered are still getting through.  I'm
looking into alternatives that will still allow me to use our
institution's webmail.  I  don't want to have to download mail and filter
it locally.  In part this is because I've discovered that Thunderbird gets
slow as mud when you have a lot of saved messages.  And also, I work
from three
different computers, and would rather keep the saved mail on our central
server.

I'm considering using either a commercial spam filtering service, or a
spam control service using captchas if I can find it.  I know it's annoying,
but they do work.  I would probably have to forward all my mail through
that service to a new, 'clean' webmail address at the college.

Questions:
Any recommendations for filtering services?  I would particularly like to use
a challenge system using captchas, but I have to be able to exempt list
mail from that, so it must be configurable.

And is there an email program that will handle huge quantities of local
stored mail without bogging down the way Tbird does?  (I want to
avoid microsoft products if at all possible).

Advance thanks.

--
Stacy Pober
Information Alchemist