[Web4lib] Openreader ebook software

Steven C. Perkins sperkins at interaccess.com
Thu Feb 2 13:33:15 EST 2006

Hello:

Last year there were a few emails on Web4Lib on ebooks software.  Below is
a message from the Openreader.org mail list wih=th references to several
message explaining some of the Openreader software developments in an
exchange between Jon Noring and Bill McCoy at Adobe.

This is forwarded with permission of Jon Noring:

Steven C. Perkins

Everyone,

Bill McCoy at Adobe and I have exchanged blog articles regarding
OpenReader's current "standards development strategy". For those
who've not heard about OpenReader, a proposed universal, ebook and
digital publication format open standard, refer to OpenReader's home
site: <http://www.openreader.org/>http://www.openreader.org/ .

Rather than explain our differing views here, refer to the articles:

     Bill's latest:

        <http://blogs.adobe.com/billmccoy/2006/01/the_forked_road.html>http://blogs.adobe.com/billmccoy/2006/01/the_forked_road.html

     Which is a reply to mine (fairly long):

        <http://www.teleread.org/blog/?p=4201>http://www.teleread.org/blog/?p=4201

Those here interested in ebook formats, open standards, and all of
that, I urge you to read the above two articles and then share your
thoughts here for discussion. Does Bill have a strong case? What
should OpenReader's standards development strategy be if different
from what it is currently?

Thanks!

Jon Noring
OpenReader Consortium

Steven C. Perkins, JD, MLL                      Coordinator of Reference
Services
M.D. Anderson Library                           University of Houston
SPerkins at UH.Edu                         713-743-9775; fax 9778
                        "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"  --Juvenal