[Web4lib] Open-access sites that generating OpenURLs

Jonathan Rochkind rochkind at jhu.edu
Wed Dec 6 13:54:40 EST 2006

DOI is the only service I have been able to find that uses the actual
'cookie pusher'. But your library (or resolver operator) need to be
registered as a DOI affiliate for your resolver to be a choice. Cookie
pusher isn't quite exactly the user's choosing either, is it?  Unless
the user knows how to set up a cookie pusher URL, I guess.

Open Worldcat is open-to-the-public, but I don't think it lets the user
choose their resolver, it chooses based on your IP, using the OCLC Link
Resolver Registry. There are a handful of other open-to-the-public
services that use the OCLC Registry, including canarydatabase.com.

You don't need to use the Openly plugin to get your choice of resolvers
with Google Scholar!  Without the Openly Plugin, Google Scholar will
still let you choose (from those registered with Google Scholar).

If you are using the Openly plug-in, then ANY page that embeds "COinS"
objects will turn into an OpenURL link via the Openly plug-in, to the
resolver you have set for the plug-in. Look around for COinS implementors.

The NASA Astrophics Data System (http://adsabs.harvard.edu) will let the
user choose a resolver from a list
(http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/pref_set?4), or set the resolver via
a special URL (which ends up setting a cookie) of the format:
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/pref_set?4&OpenURL=OURL&Icon=ICON
<http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/pref_set?4&OpenURL=OURL&Icon=ICON>

That's everything I know about, but there are probably a few more.

What are you trying to do exactly?

Jonathan

    <http://ads.harvard.edu>