[Web4lib] patrons reporting website problems

Amy Fry afry at gustavus.edu
Wed Dec 6 10:28:44 EST 2006

We are working on a button or link that will open a form patrons can
fill out to submit a problem to a committee of library technology help
folks. The form submits an e mail and logs the person's IP address,
browser, and url of last web page visited, as well as the information
they fill out in the form, including a note about their problem. We're
going to embed the link/button in all library web page templates to give
people a shortcut to reporting technical problems, such as databases not
working, full text linking not working or incorrect, problems placing
ILL requests or accessing databases remotely, or if they encounter
broken links on our website, etc.

We are wondering if other libraries have implemented this kind of help
mechanism and, if so, how it's working and, especially - what should we
call the button/link? "Report a problem" is too generic, but it has to
be short, and we can certainly include explanatory text in the
form...Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Amy

--