[Web4lib] web hosting service

Francis Kayiwa kayiwa at uic.edu
Wed Aug 30 11:55:04 EDT 2006

On Aug 29, 2006, at 8:02 PM, raumin dehghan wrote:

> Does anybody know of a good inexpensive web hosting service for an
> individual?

Raumin,

It depends what your needs are -no? Since you haven't told me your
needs I will tell you what mine were and why I settled -for a while
anyways :-) on 4ph.com. I could have also taken 1and1.com but frankly
I cannot remember why I settled with 4ph.com.

Wait I do recall... at the time 1and1.com did not have rsync.

Requirements:
        ∙     Linux or UNIX based
        ∙     SSH access and rsync for uploading my site
        ∙     Low monthly fees
        ∙     No price gouging for extra bandwidth
        ∙     Low or zero setup fee
        ∙     One domain, at least 3 subdomains
        ∙     At least 2 POP3/IMAP mailboxes
        ∙     A reasonable amount of space (50 MB or more)
        ∙     SpamAssassin

Nice-to-have features:
        ∙     Usenet/NNTP access and server
        ∙     Jabber server
        ∙     Logs and stats
        ∙     Search engine support for sites

I didn't need PHP, JSP, ASP, SSI, SQL, CGI, ... Just static web
pages, cheap. Also:
∙     I don't need DNS hosting or domain registration, just the
servers to point my existing domain at and a working MX or two.
∙     High uptime wasn't all that important; the odd day or so of
downtime is fine.
∙     Phone support wasn't important.
∙     Technical hand-holding would be unnecessary.

I have since moved on and I pay speakeasy.net and host everything in
my closet. :-)

regards,
./fxk

Francis Kayiwa