[Web4lib] Video Game Set-ups in the Library

Patricia F Anderson pfa at umich.edu
Tue Aug 22 20:16:03 EDT 2006

Absolutely, our local public library does this. I don't work there, so all
I can do is point you in the right direction, however I know my son and
his friends have attended gaming competitions at the library.

<http://www.aadl.org/>

Click on Events, and then click on "Events by Subject: Videogame Events".

This has been a huge success here. It took three tries for my son to be
able to register, since registration fills up so quickly. Competition is
fierce, and competitors often have to wait a long time for their turn to
compete. My son is also a big fan of the Mange / Anime events, but those
also fill up so quickly we finally gave up. For the gaming events, I was
surprised that more parents didn't stick around, but it is mostly kids and
adults are definitely the odd person out.

Have fun!

  -- Patricia Anderson, pfa at umich.edu

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Michele Haytko wrote:

> I'm asking a co-worker to post this for me surrogately, as I am in
> need of some opinions on a library matter, and do not belong to any
> newsgroups.
>
> My supervisor is in charge of the "teen corner," and it probably comes
> as little surprise to most of you that teens are the hardest
> demographic to get into the library for any practical purposes. She
> was recently promised a grant for helping the teens, and after a brief
> survey, my boss has decided that the best way to get teens into the
> lib is to lure them with the potential of video game access in the
> library. Realistically, she should be the one doing this research,
> however she knows literally nothing about video games, while I know a
> good deal, so after supplying my own opinion, she remained convinced
> that some other (public) libraries have some kind of video game access
> and asked me to see how others treat the matter.
[snip]