[Web4lib] Video Game Set-ups in the Library

Michele Haytko michele.haytko at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 16:34:13 EDT 2006

I'm posting this on behalf of a coworker.  Please respond and I will
forward appropriately.

Many thanks,
Michele

--
**************)0(**************
Mrs. C. Michele Haytko

Just because I am paranoid doesn't mean they are not after me….

-----

I'm asking a co-worker to post this for me surrogately, as I am in
need of some opinions on a library matter, and do not belong to any
newsgroups.

My supervisor is in charge of the "teen corner," and it probably comes
as little surprise to most of you that teens are the hardest
demographic to get into the library for any practical purposes. She
was recently promised a grant for helping the teens, and after a brief
survey, my boss has decided that the best way to get teens into the
lib is to lure them with the potential of video game access in the
library. Realistically, she should be the one doing this research,
however she knows literally nothing about video games, while I know a
good deal, so after supplying my own opinion, she remained convinced
that some other (public) libraries have some kind of video game access
and asked me to see how others treat the matter.

So my primary question is: Do any of you have any kind of video game
displays or computer game access (beyond Flash games on the Internet
or kiddie games in your children's dept) in your computer lab? Of
course, I need more than just a "yes" for anyone who can answer in the
affirmative.

Her initial question was to ask if it was feasible to buy games to
install on the computers in the lab. We have 16 public access
machines, and to purchase even a normally-$20 game would cost the
library over 300 dollars. Further, it would cause our
sometimes-overcrowded lab to be flooded with people playing games. I
managed to discourage this line of reasoning, as it would never work
for us.

She then followed up by asking me if she were to acquire two computers
to place in the teen zone, could she put games on those? I see all
kinds of issues with this, since it would be independent of our
computer lab and probably out of immediate visibility of any of the
staff's normal positions.

First of all, if these machines had gaming potential, they would turn
into gaming machines. There's little doubt of this in my mind. So if
we're going to have dedicated gaming boxes, is there much incentive
for having a computer rather than just a cheap TV + Playstation or
Xbox?

Second, how do we decide which games to have? We can't purchase
everything, and I know well that it's hard to please gamers --
especially a random herd with different interests and motivation
levels.

Third, equipment will ultimately become damaged. Especially with less
mature folks (ab)using the machines, and even a Playstation controller
or a new mouse is something that we don't want to have to replace on a
routine basis.

Fourth, and probably most importantly, how do we administer this? Our
lab checks people in to the limited machines we have, with the
guarantee that a user will get at least 30 minutes, and then they will
be booted on a first-in-first-out basis if we become full and need a
machine for a newcomer. However, with only two machines and, truancy
aside, the machines lying fallow until school is out, there will be a
rush when the school bus comes around. 30 minutes is not reasonable
(too long) to actually effectively circulate everyone through the
machines without 3+ hour waits, but 30 minutes is not reasonable (too
short) for playing most non-casual games...and someone looking for
casual games can just hop onto Yahoo in the lab. Not to mention, we
don't have space to put this in immediate view of staff with our
current layout, so eventually some disputes are going to break out.

Fifth, sound: A library is stereotypically a bastion of solitude and
tranquility, however video games often necessitate being able to hear
them. Headphones are theoretical, but as a gamer, I would balk at the
notion of being forced to wear headphones while playing many games.
Further, bystanders that are content to watch while waiting for their
turn would want to be able to hear as well. We don't have the means
for constructing a new soundproof room, so how to handle the noise
pollution?

These are just some of the issues I foresee from the potential of
setting up "gaming" machines in the library. I applaud my supervisor's
efforts in looking for a solution to the lack of teen library usage,
but I am skeptical of finding a feasible method for implementing this
idea. Is there anyone out there that actually handles these ideas,
effectively or not? Does it even encourage them to spend time using
the other library services, or are we just creating a free play
arcade?

-Stephen Kittel; Norristown Public Library, Montgomery County, PA