[Web4lib] Disable USB drives on public computers

Dobbs, Aaron DobbsA at apsu.edu
Fri Apr 28 15:41:11 EDT 2006

Greetings fellow thread readers...

The easy way to block the described hack (and the floppy and CD hacks,
too) is to configure the machine's BIOS to only boot from the hard
drive, or better yet the System partition only, and enable BIOS security
which will require a password to change BIOS settings.
Quick, easy, painless (but repetitive as each machine must be touched)

If you would rather not allow executables to run from the removable
drives/media there are a plethora of findable software packages or
registry hacks to do so.

Personally, I'd like to be able to run my Portable Firefox and Portable
Thunderbird apps to browse the web in my environment and check my email
on a public machine.  If that's not possible, the least I would expect
to be able to do is save files to my removable drive/media (thumb drive,
CD-/+R(W), floppy, etc.)

-Aaron
:-)'
 Vis tecum sit!