[Web4lib] Keyword searching in Endeavor Voyager

Dale Askey daskey at ksu.edu
Tue Apr 25 15:27:34 EDT 2006

Heeding my own call for people to document what they're doing and share
it around, I've posted instructions for fixing the keyword search in
WebVoyage. Please take note of the origins of this script/fix, which was
born at UCLA in 2004, modified thereafter by Yale, and again modified
and extended by Harish Maringanti here at Kansas State. Instructions and
code here:

http://ksulib.typepad.com/did/2006/04/voyager_keyword.html

A number of years ago, I heard Roy T give a speech on how nasty OPACs
were (I'm sure many of us on this list have heard or read his excellent
views on the subject), and the main thing that stuck with me was the
post-processing of the query, i.e.- taking whatever the user has put in
and using the intelligence of the system to make something coherent out
of it. UCLA's work to fix the very deficient native Voyager keyword
search was just such a thing.

Dale

--
Dale Askey