[Web4lib] electronic library newsletter software

Louise Alcorn Louise.Alcorn at wdm-ia.com
Mon Apr 24 13:14:53 EDT 2006

Our primary need for e-newsletters is for reader's advisory type
queries.  We are going with Book Page's "Bookletters" product (will
launch May 1st, I hope).  Patrons opt in for emails on a variety of
topics (some created by Bookletters, some created by us), including
genre fiction, nonfiction, **general library newsletters (we create and
send out at our schedule), our **Teen Scene newsletter (again, we create
and push out), our children's programming calendar, etc.  Quite easy to
use and reasonable priced.  I've not used it extensively yet myself, but
I demo'd the admin side and was impressed.  I'll have no qualms setting
other staff members free on it to create content and send it out, even
the technically less proficient.  There is absolutely NO support
required by our IT department after initial setup (links through our
website, all admin is web-based).  I can add or delete patrons manually
if I choose, but primarily they administer their own opt-in/opt-out.

Other libraries in our area are using it to great effect (Ames (Iowa)
Public Library is one).  It's targeted to the public library market,
obviously, as is *EBSCO's Next Reads* product (just released), which we
also looked at.  They are very comparable--we went with the Bookletters
product largely for timing reasons.

I hope this is helpful.

Louise E. Alcorn
Reference Technology Librarian