[Web4lib] Federated search products and FullText/PeerReviewlimiting

Mark Jordan mjordan at sfu.ca
Mon Apr 24 11:30:52 EDT 2006

David Walker wrote:
>>> The only way around this I can see is if
>>> your OpenURL resolver would automatically
>>> route the user to full-text if it's available
>>> without putting up a resolver menu.
>
> Which is what I'd like to do here.
>
> I'm thinking of something along the lines of GUF at Rochester, which not
> only sends the user directly to the full-text, but also does some
> pre-checking of the target to see if it is alive, and some additional
> drilling-down to the article level.

I'd be interested to know how direct-to-document resolvers handle the
appropriate cop(ies) problem -- what text does the Rochester resolver
present to the user when the library has multiple versions of the same
article from different vendors? Does it favor certain vendors? Just a
question...

Mark

Mark Jordan
Head of Library Systems
W.A.C. Bennett Library, Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, British Columbia, V5A 1S6, Canada
Phone (604) 291 5753 / Fax (604) 291 3023
mjordan at sfu.ca / http://www.sfu.ca/~mjordan/