[Web4lib] Metadata for Library Web Pages?

Iris Jastram ijastram at carleton.edu
Thu Apr 20 13:58:23 EDT 2006

> I understood that the commercial search engines ignore inline metadata
> because they has been so frequently abused for index spamming.

This is not quite correct, though it may have been the case before the
search engines became savvier about distinguishing "good" from "bad"
metadata.  Recent studies have shown that search engines *do* favor
pages that have title, subject/keyword, and description tags as long as
the words in those tags don't repeat too often (I believe three times is
the cut-off point for repetition).  They place these pages higher in the
result lists and may index them slightly faster.  If I remember
correctly, there's some difference between search engines and the way
they handle html META tags vs. Dublin Core with some favoring one and
some favoring the other.  When I was doing my research into the types of
metadata that show up in pages currently indexed by search engines, I
found that between 6 and 8 percent of pages had Dublin Core, and many of
these doubled up by also having META tags.  Well over half of the pages
I sampled had html META tags.  (When I get home tonight I can look in to
the specific breakdown of the distributions if anyone's interested.)

There are several papers published that explore which tags help and
which don't and how much they help or hurt based on appearance and
ranking in many of the major search engines and subject directories.
Three of these are by Jin Zhang and Alexandra Dimitroff, but I could
only find one of them online. The citations are:

Zhang and Dimitroff. "The impact of webpage content characteristics on
webpage visibility in search engine results (Part I)." Information
Processing and Management.  41.3 (2005): 665-690.

Zhang and Dimitroff. "The impact of metadata implementation on webpage
visibility in search engine results (Part II)." Information Processing
and Management. 41.3 (2005): 697-715.  (This is the paper I could find
online at
http://mmlab.ceid.upatras.gr/courses/AIS_SITE/files/3%5CThe%20impact%20of%20metadata%20implementation%20on%20webpage%20visibility%20.pdf)

Zhang and Dimitroff. "Internet search engines' response to metadata
Dublin Core implementation." Journal of Information Science. 30.4
(2004): 310-320.

Yours,
Iris

--