[Web4lib] Printing Web Pages

Elena OMalley Elena_OMalley at emerson.edu
Thu Apr 20 14:12:09 EDT 2006

I'm not sure whether you mean your own pages or customers
using your computers (or asking for your expertise) to print
other sites' pages.

If it's your equipment but external sites...we disabled
the print command in the dropdown menu in the browser and made
the print preview both prominent (on the browser toolbar) and
the only way to get to the print button on our public research
machines. Control+p still works, but not everyone knows keyboard
shortcuts.

The user at least theoretically sees what it's going to look like
and has a chance to make adjustments before sending the print job.
(Change margins, switch to landscape, or whatever.)

Some folks get frustrated because the print command isn't where
they expect. And some don't look at the print preview window or
don't think it's accurately showing what will print. As with
anything, this method has its good and bad points.

Elena O'Malley
__
Head of Library Computer and Internet Services
Emerson College Library, Boston, MA 02116