[Web4lib] google & library catalogs

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Thu Apr 13 11:40:39 EDT 2006

> But what is often forgotten in trash the opac sessions is they they do a
> very good job of finding known items in smaller collections and that, as
> FRBR is refined and becomes more common, they can do a fair job of leading
> you to the right item even in a very large collection.

My questions would be:

* What is meant by "good job"--how do we measure that? What is the evidence?

* FRBR does indeed have great potential for improving findability. But can
it address findability problems on its own?

I think in fact we have spent thirty years not even questioning the OPAC in
most respects. It's good that librarians are looking at OPACs, finding them
wanting, and explaining what they do poorly. We're finally doing our job.

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com