[Web4lib] Waiting Lists for Computers

Phillip Whitford PWhitford at Braswell-Library.org
Wed Apr 5 18:36:47 EDT 2006

We don't charge anyone and guests use the system for as long as registered patrons. We do check ID for guests and if they are local they are required to get a card if they plan on using the PCs more than once or twice. Cards are free. Visitors that are in town for awhile can get a free temp card for just PC use.  To be really effective PCReservation will need system users to have a library card or some other kind of account number.

Being friendly to strangers has paid off (I mean besides in good karma). In addition to thanks from grateful travelers twice we had  people donate money (several thousands dollars each time) to the library just because we let them check their email.

We also offer free wi-fi to anyone who comes in (no card required) and many visitors, particularly business people, use that.

Phillip Whitford
Braswell Memorial Library

________________________________

From: web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org on behalf of HAZEL Margaret E
Sent: Wed 4/5/2006 4:36 PM
To: Web4lib at webjunction.org
Subject: RE: [Web4lib] Waiting Lists for Computers

 Further question (and I know this is a can of worms):

Do you charge guests for internet use?  How much, how long related to
cardholders?  Do you also have a free 10 or 15 minute email station?  Do
you provide free wireless access?

We limit cardholders to an hour a day anywhere in the system.  We are
constrained by our City structure to only provide most services to city
residents, and have been asked to have non-residents pay.  Non-residents
do have the option to buy a library card for full service.

-Margaret
 Eugene, OR