[Web4lib] Self-pickup of holds

e roel e.roel at usa.net
Thu Sep 22 08:11:57 EDT 2005

I apologize, but I do not subscribe to PubLib, and don't recall seeing this on
Web4Lib.  So, please forgive me if these comments were already offered, etc.

I don't perceive this as an issue of paranoia, nor do I necessarily think that
there is someone necessarily monitoring the borrowed item at that particularly
library.  However, I still would not view this as something 'unbroken'.
Libraries have a reasonable history of protecting privacy.  Privacy is a
patron right defended on principle by a substantial number of librarians.
Society-wide, it is a very delicate right, one that is much harder to [re]gain
post facto to an emergent tradition of its violation.  It behooves us as
citizens to try and allocate private spaces (be them physical or intellectual)
based on a belief that the individual should have a right to such spaces
before we simply don't have any anymore.  If we only allocate privacy only
when we deem it to be necessary based on the idiosyncratic circumstances of
the individual, paradoxically, that investigation and judgment process would
most likely already involve a violation of the right to privacy.  After all,
as it was written and defined, it is the 'right to be let alone'
(Brandeis/Warren, 1890).

If an individual wants to read something that they may view as being an item
to which others would be hostile, the would probably notice that the borrowing
system you describe exists, and would probably go somewhere else.  I imagine
they would probably not wish to further expose themselves to a greater number
of people if say, they were heard complaining, etc. Of course, that is
assuming that there is somewhere else to go.

I also view librarians as a group with as service professionals.  Given this,
I strongly believe that we should provide services even to the non-vocal few,
even a group we are only speculating about. This is particularly true when
introducing a change into the environment does not assert itself in any
apparent way against the rights of others.

As citizens in our society, with a strong tradition in the liberal
philosophical vein, we have to protect the rights or privileges of those that
may not even voice a given concern.  It much easier to 'hold the line' on a
right (one, in this case that has emerged from the precedent in our national
laws) than try and re-coup ground after it has been violated.  Often, this is
already a mark of the point of no return.

I want to live in a society that provides for privacy mental and physical
spaces.  If an administrative change in policy in a local library can
contribute to that even in the smallest way, I fully support that.

Eulalia