[Web4lib] streaming video

Eric Gustafson gustafsone at lanecc.edu
Wed Sep 14 16:53:18 EDT 2005

I'm looking into the possibility of converting some of our vhs and dvd titles into a streaming format.  Currently these titles are used solely for the students viewing in the library -- we control the vcr's from behind the circulation counter which are hardwired to multiple monitors.   Titles may change from term to term as class instructors change their class content and make a video-viewing a class requirement.

Still being new to a library environment and not knowing the ins and outs of copyright, what hurdles do I have and where do I start?  Do you know of a college/library that already provides streams (as a timed checkout option or limited to 1 viewing stream at a time perhaps?)  Also, do you have any suggestions on format? (ie, windows media, realaudio, etc).  Low cost is definately a concern.

Eric Gustafson, Computer Support Technician
Library, Lane Community College
4000 E. 30th Ave
Eugene, OR 97405
gustafsone at lanecc.edu