[Web4lib] Computer Lab Entrance

Engel, Ryan Ryan.Engel at turner.com
Wed Oct 26 11:24:55 EDT 2005

Years ago, when I was a lab attendant at a 24/7 computer lab at the
University of Wisconsin-Madison, we required users to scan their ID
cards upon entrance to the lab as a method of "checking in".  We did not
make any attempt to track departures or "check outs".  We as staff
members had to make sure each person entering the lab actually scanned
their ID card, and we refused entry to people without an ID card.

More recently, when I returned to the UW as a grad student, I noted that
the labs switched to a check in/check out procedure where users typed
their ID number in at a lab workstation in order to use that computer;
when finished, users signed off at their lab workstation.  Under this
system, lab attendants were available to assist users having trouble
signing in to a computer but otherwise did not appear to monitor the
comings and goings of users.

___

Ryan Engel

CNN Library - Atlanta