[Web4lib] Federated search products

Dale Askey daskey at ksu.edu
Thu Oct 20 17:52:37 EDT 2005

At the risk of airing my dirty laundry in a very public space, I'd offer
the following answer to Yuliya.

First, a brief preface: I've been involved with two federated search
product selection processes at two different ARL libraries. I've also
spent most of the last two years working with either Ex Libris' MetaLib
or Endeavor's ENCompass, so feel I have more than enough stored
experience and frustrations with them and with federated searching to
offer a useful opinion.

Now the opinion: Federated searching is and, for the foreseeable future
will remain, a deeply flawed enterprise. This is largely due to the
differences between targets, but also due to the hash that some of the
softwares out there make of what can/should be a relatively simple
thing. Despite the flaws, however, it's worth pursuing federated
searching, if only because a) it's going to get better with time, and b)
even in its current state, you can do some cool things with it.

If you compare MetaLib and ENCompass, the outcome is laughable.
MetaLib's central knowledge base makes it the obvious winner, and that's
just the first reason that this is the case. Unless you're fond of
writing your own connections for a wide variety of z39.50, XML gateways,
HTTP screen scrapes, etc., don't pay a lot of money for any federated
search product unless it sits on top of a large and well-maintained
knowledge base. I'd declare MetaLib the general winner in that category,
although I'm sure someone (a vendor, perhaps?) out there is itching to
take me on for saying that.

Having just praised ML, however, I'll point out that it's interface is a
royal pain in the keester. Having just returned from Access2005 in
Edmonton, it's safe to say that x-server from Ex Libris, their attempt
to offer an interface API to MetaLib, is not there quite yet. Even when
it does get there, however, who will have the time and skills to build
an interface essentially from scratch. We don't.

Perhaps a better route, and one that makes sense for institutions that
aren't dripping cash, is to look around at some of the more interesting
things happening in the open-source world. Check out DBWiz from Simon
Fraser University, for example (http://dbwiz.lib.sfu.ca/dbwiz/). It's in
production at both SFU and at UWinnipeg.

If you've got cash and want the most well-grounded tool, use MetaLib.
If, however, you've got even a tiny amount of interest in trying to do
something on your own using open-source software, then I'd suggest DBWiz
  or other such initiatives.

Dale