[Web4lib] Nielsen's Top 10 - 2005 version

Erik Kraft ekraft at uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 19 13:54:26 EDT 2005

Most of the items on Nielsen's list are no-brainers, but I don't think
frozen layouts and fixed page widths are a usability "mistake" at all.
In fact, I think the reason you cite for using liquid layouts--that many
entry-level machines now come standard with hi-res monitors--is an
argument for, not against, fixed width layouts. There is now a huge
disparity between the lowest possible resolution we have to design for
(800 x 600) and the highest (2000 or more pixels wide). In most cases, I
think liquid layouts that look great at 800x600 look awful on a super
hi-res monitor, and vice-versa.

Of course the usability argument is that the user should be in control
of the size of their browser window's content area, but I'm slightly
dubious that the average user on a high-res monitors surfs the web with
a less-than-maximized browser window. Readability is a huge part of
usability, and this involves being able to reliably control white space
and line lengths on pages. I don't think Nielsen gets this, at all. (Not
that I wish to start a long debate about aspects of design that Nielsen
doesn't get--that could preoccupy the list for a very long time indeed!)

I know there are pros and cons both ways, and that a good case can be
made for liquid layouts, and that different kinds of pages call for
different layouts, but to call a fixed width design an outright
"mistake" gets my back up a bit.

Cheers,

Erik.

Erik.

--
Erik Kraft
Visiting Assistant Reference Librarian for Digital Resources