[Web4lib] Google Print gets new name

John Kupersmith jkup at jkup.net
Wed Nov 23 12:40:13 EST 2005

I agree that "Google Book Search" is likely to be shortened by real people
in everyday use, but it's hard to imagine a better alternative that's
reasonably concise, contains the target word "books" yet isn't grossly
misleading.

This is like many of the labeling challenges that libraries face.  The most
important role of a name at this level is just to get users moving in the
right direction.  It's a rare thing for a name also to clarify the
distinctions, ramifications, and complications that lurk just below the
surface.

If you think we've got problems, try finding a new name for a Israeli
political party:
< http://tinyurl.com/74reh >
or a name that makes kangaroo meat seem appetizing:
< http://tinyurl.com/9uffw >

--jk