[Web4lib] measuring PC performance

Mark Bardsley bardsley at u.washington.edu
Fri Nov 18 11:51:50 EST 2005

John,

I don't know of any simple equations to measure this. There is a free
utility that checks many measurements of performance. It is called Sandra
and can be downloaded from http://www.sisoftware.net/.

However, your question is complicated because it depends on how the
computers are used. For example, there are processor intensive operations
(photo rendering) and there are hard drive intensive operations (copying
large files). Additionally, motherboards only support a maximum bus speed
for RAM. A nice motherboard will support RAM that operates at a much higher
speed and can thus shuttle information to the processor faster. Another
thing to think about is not the hard drive size but the RPM and seek time.
You could buy a fast hard drive (if hard drive intensive operations are
slowing things down) but to get the fastest hard drives you might need to
buy a SCSI, Fiber Channel, or SATA controller.

To summarize though, there are many factors that influence computer
performance and it depends on what it is primarily used for. NT 4 was a lean
operating system that required little RAM. Upgrading to 2000 is expected to
decrease performance on most systems. The next Microsoft OS (for consumer
use) is expected to require even more RAM, hard drive space, and graphics
capabilities.

- Mark