[Web4lib] eBooks Take the Ivory Tower

Drew, Bill drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU
Tue Nov 15 15:16:30 EST 2005

I  posted this short commentary to my blog.  Thought people here would
like to see my posting.

Wilfred (Bill) Drew
E-mail: mailto:drewwe at morrisville.edu
AOL Instant Messenger:BillDrew4 <aim:goim?screenname=BillDrew4>

I have just been viewing/listening to the LJ URLearn series: eBooks Take
the Ivory Tower.  It has been a bit disappointing.  I was hoping to see
some e-book zealots as part of the panel so that we could get some idea
on how they view the future of ebooks.  The panel did not provide a good
range in size of academic libraries.  Also, the presentation was too
slow and lacked any real interactivity except for posting questions
answered at the end.  There was too much spent on costs and not enough
on users.  There was not any mention of Project Gutenberg titles at all
nor any mention of using such software as Dspace to mount ebooks. There
were many interesting ideas discussed but still a lack of controversy or
thinking outside of the box.  Recording of the webinar will be available
at http://www.libraryjournal/learn tomorrow.

--
Posted by Bill Drew to Baby Boomer Librarian
<http://babyboomerlibrarian.blogspot.com/2005/11/ebooks-take-ivory-tower