[Web4lib] Library relationship with computer services dept

Knight, Stacey Stacey.Knight at tui.edu
Tue Nov 15 14:05:55 EST 2005

Hi,

I am trying to find out how other university/college libraries interact
with their IT/computer services departments.  Our library would like to
develop a more collaborative relationship with our computer services
department particularly in regards to web design and how technology can
be used to improve learner services.  My hope is that by presenting some
examples of how other academic institutions operate, I can make a
stronger case for breaking down some of the structural barriers and the
hierarchical culture that currently exists between the two departments.

Below are questions that relate to a few of the issues we are currently
facing.  Any input on these questions or an overview of how your library
interacts with computer services would be greatly appreciated.

*	What kind of control does the library have over their web pages?
Maintenance? Developing new content (i.e. tutorials, etc.)?

	*	How are the library web pages maintained?  (in-house,
CMS)
	*	Does content have to be approved by computer services, a
web committee, library webmaster, etc.?
	*	How much control does library staff have over the look
and feel of the library web pages?

*	Does any of the library staff have access to the web server?
*	Is library staff allowed to install software on their computers?
*	Does your institution support open source platform/software?
*	If you have a proxy server (i.e. ezproxy), is it managed by the
library or by IT/computer services?
*	What technology issues does the library handle directly and what
must be filtered through IT/computer services?
*	How responsive is IT/computer services to library requests?

If you want to reply to me off list, I can compile the results for the
list.

Thanks,

Stacey L. Knight

Research Services and Electronic Resources Librarian

Gary Library

Vermont College of the Union Institute and University

36 College St.

Montpelier, VT  05602

(802) 828-8618

Toll free: (800) 336-6794