[Web4lib] del.icio.us tags and bookmarking sites -- WHY DO IT?

Ross Singer ross.singer at library.gatech.edu
Mon May 23 11:31:13 EDT 2005

Bill, I think you're missing the point.  The tags are there as an
organization tool for the user.  The fact that resources also can be
aggregated together based on the tag is a bonus.

Therefore, imagine you added folksonomic tagging to your opac.  As
people save records into their "bookbag" or whatever (or let's say you
add a folksonomy based citation management system).  Another user
searching your opac can then see the terms that have been left behind by
other users (in their effort to find this item again), but the
assumption is that this is probably a /useful/ descriptive term that
could be used to find, say, /articles/ with this same (or combination
of) term(s) if you were to link out of the opac to connotea.  It expands
the notion of discovery to user-aggregated resources.

-Ross.