[WEB4LIB] NOTAmazon OR Google as a "corporate" role model: iTunes

Roy Tennant roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Wed May 11 14:06:07 EDT 2005

I agree that we are presently mostly ignoring browsing, except in
mostly not so useful ways, and ignoring the fact that the unification
of searching and browsing can be very powerful. Thankfully, large
library organizations such as RLG and OCLC are beginning to illustrate
the power of this confluence of capabilities through new kinds of
interfaces.

Specifically, I can point to <http://redlightgreen.com/> in the case of
RLG, and emerging new services from OCLC illustrated in a blog posting
by Lorcan Dempsey today at
<http://orweblog.oclc.org/archives/000662.html>, in part as a response
to Eric's posting below. The screenshot in Lorcan's posting represents
a real, functioning system that OCLC is experimenting with and has not
yet released. In both of these systems, the user can seamlessly move
from search to browse, using the capabilities of each when most
appropriate.
Roy