[WEB4LIB] Re: Blog: Open source vs. commercial

Steve Oberg steve.oberg at gmail.com
Tue May 3 12:10:41 EDT 2005

>Very good point. My response there is that if you just need a blog, and you
>don't have the means or need to install your own, $150 a year for Typepad is
>a really good deal. Also, for many people, the blog is their website. I
>don't want libraries to feel that the technology is standing between them
>and a blog. A blog does require time and commitment, though libraries have a
>lot of ready-made content available to them--new books, programs, events,
>etc.

I took the same route as David Mattison (going to my own hosted website
using WordPress) for the same reasons.  Typepad seems like a great
solution but I thought it was expensive.  And I got a year-long deal
with a web hosting solution for much less, about $100 per year, than it
would cost me to subscribe to Typepad.

Yet I also agree with Karen that libraries or those participating in
this list don't have to "roll their own" in order to have a blog.
That's where something like Thingamablog may come in useful, or iBlog
for Macintosh folks.  I just found the latter two applications too
limiting after a while.

By the way, I used Thingamablog for work-related blogs that I maintain,
because it was free, had a simple interface, etc....but most
importantly, gave me the freedom to start our library's blog without
interference from our campus IT folks.  I requested the use of blogging
software used by the campus webmaster a long time ago.  When I was
asked, for what purpose, I described the purpose and was told in
response, "Well, you don't need blogging software."  (Unfortunately,
this is a typical interchange, one that I find very irritating over
time.  I am fairly tech savvy, more so, I fear, than many (most?) in our
IT department.  To be told that I don't know what suits the library's
needs, when that is one of my chief responsibilities, is irritating and
limiting.)  Using Thingamablog allowed me to publish to the library's
own webspace without any interference from the webmaster, who tends to
love to be in control.  Sorry if this whole statement sounds rather
peevish.  The end result was that the library was able to initiate the
first departmental weblog for public use at my institution.  This was
welcomed by many but not by the webmaster or by IT folks.  I have since
succumbed to (subtle) pressure by the webmaster to move our library
blogs (one for public, one for internal, staff use) to Moveable Type,
but mainly because MT gives me much more functionality.

Steve

Steve Oberg
Family Man Librarian
www.familymanlibrarian.com