[WEB4LIB] Re: Blog: Open source vs. commercial

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Tue May 3 11:49:56 EDT 2005

> I was a beta tester for TypePad and decided I'd rather spend the money on
> hosting my own site rather than paying a near-equivalent amount for *just*
> blog.

Very good point. My response there is that if you just need a blog, and you
don't have the means or need to install your own, $150 a year for Typepad is
a really good deal. Also, for many people, the blog is their website. I
don't want libraries to feel that the technology is standing between them
and a blog. A blog does require time and commitment, though libraries have a
lot of ready-made content available to them--new books, programs, events,
etc.

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com