[WEB4LIB] PDF versus HTML

Mike Beccaria mike.beccaria at pictometry.com
Wed Mar 30 07:49:05 EST 2005

Hi John,

Good question. PDF files look the same (margins, spacing, fonts, etc.) on every computer everywhere. The format was designed for this purpose in mind...Web pages can look different from computer to computer depending on which browser you have (Netscape, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc. and PC and Mac versions of each). One way that most people tend to make the best of both worlds is by putting the documents on the web in HTML and then make a "printer friendly" pdf link near the top or bottom of them. Hope that helps:) As an aside, Microsoft Word documents also may not look the same from computer to computer.

Mike