[WEB4LIB] RE: DNS Resolution of Log Files with Numeric IP Addresses

Roy Tennant roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Wed Mar 9 11:21:43 EST 2005

Following up on Darryl's comment on the lack of a significant
performance hit when turning on IP resolution, I've learned to view
such claims with skepticism. I've known system administrators to also
oppose parsing all HTML files for server side includes for the same
reason, despite the fact that there is no available evidence to back up
such a claim. When I've been able to marshall evidence to the contrary,
I've been able to have such services turned on with (you guessed it) no
discernable problem. I would encourage everyone who is being denied
such service by their system administrator for reasons of system
performance to go to the mat on it, backed up by testimony from those
who have turned on such services with no ill effect (you can quote me).
Thanks,
Roy