ColdFusion and XML searching/harvesting protocols

Nick Dobbing ndobbing at uoguelph.ca
Sun Mar 6 14:41:10 EST 2005

Hello everyone,

I'm writing from the University of Guelph, in Ontario. We're an
Endeavor/Voyager site, and we use ColdFusion MX fairly extensively for web
programming.

I've recently become interested in the possibility of emulating (more or
less) what the Library of Congress has done with Voyager, its Z39.50 server,
and Yaz Proxy, a Z39.50 to XML gateway (see
http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/zing/srw/). As many of you probably know,
they use this technology to create a web front end for Z39.50 searches of
their catalogue (see http://www.loc.gov/z3950/).

As ColdFusion is fairly fluent in XML and web services, I'm starting to look
into building utilities to that could talk to a Yaz Proxy gateway, and also
perhaps other  interfaces against other XML standards that are appropriate
to searching and harvesting metadata, such as OAI-PMH (see
http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/openarchivesprotocol.html).

I know that ColdFusion is used in many libraries, and I've been looking
around, but haven't been able to find out if anyone else is doing this kind
of thing.

Are any of you doing work along these lines, or interested in sharing
knowledge and techniques for using ColdFusion to solve library business
problems? Alternatively, is anyone aware of a ColdFusion user group where
library issues are discussed?

Regards,

Nick Dobbing
ndobbing at uoguelph.ca