[WEB4LIB] CSS vs. Tables

Brandon Dennis bdennis at shreve-lib.org
Mon Mar 7 09:54:50 EST 2005

Sarah -

There are two primary benefits (plenty of minor ones too :) to switching
to a CSS design as opposed to a table design:
1.  For consistency and ease of coordinating design, CSS separates
content from presentation.  So if your patrons (or boss) don't like the
font, you can change it across the board with one or two lines (as
opposed to going through every file).  As well as most other
presentation decisions.
2.  Using Style Sheets (and separating presentation from content) means
that the browser only has to load the .css file that those pages use
once.  It *will* just use the same presentation once it's loaded.  So if
you are interested for a honest comparison, you would need to strip all
the HTML files on your site and then compare the total size.  Usually,
even if a visitor only goes to a couple of pages, it makes up for the
difference.  And if it doesn't, for a variety of other reasons, it's
worth the difference to have converted your site to CSS.

Best of luck!  (I'm getting ready to do the same thing)
Brandon